The Asphalt Paving Association of Michigan (APAM) and MDOT awarded the 3 Mile Road project in Mackinac County with a 2018 Award of Merit as a single course overlay project. We’d like to congratulate the Mackinac CRC and the GFA construction testing team on this award!
Christmas Eve (12/24) – Office Closed
Christmas Day (12/25) – Office Closed
New Year’s Eve (12/31) – Office Closed
New Year’s Day (1/1) – Office Closed
Please note the office may have limited staff between holidays. We wish you the happiest of holidays and a peaceful, prosperous 2019!
Earlier this year the Northern Lakes Economic Alliance (NLEA) announced that the Village of Central Lake was working on an application for a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC). The grant covered several phases of items, including:
- Phase 1 – five new permanent docks in Thurston Park (Complete)
- Phase 2 – a 40’x70’ pavilion with adjacent public restrooms, and a 21’x19’ storage room on the corner of North and Main Street.
Project elements also include a water and sewer line for the restrooms, tree removal at the pavilion site, and preparation of the pavilion parking lot.
In May, the Village was officially awarded over $250,000 to complete this project. GFA provided engineering and design for the docks. Now complete, residents and visitors of Central Lake will be able to enjoy these docks year-round.
GFA will continue to work with Village Council to complete the design and plans for the new pavilion and restrooms, looking to construct by early fall 2019. Stay tuned for pavilion updates. Read the full article here!
Our office will be closed Thurs. Nov. 22 and Fri. Nov. 23, for the Thanksgiving holiday.
We will reopen at 8 am Monday Nov. 26. We wish everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
GFA has an immediate opening for a municipal engineer in our civil engineering group in Traverse City, Michigan.
This position will involve direct responsibility for municipal projects related to water and sanitary sewer projects (performing and overseeing project design, coordinating with governmental entities, and interacting with clients, etc.).
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is familiar with the northern Michigan market, has a working knowledge of AutoCAD Civil 3D, familiarity with permitting regulations, and a dedication to developing and strengthening client relationships.
Candidates must have:
• Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
• Active State of Michigan P.E. License
• 10+ years of experience in water and wastewater projects (sewer and water main, pump stations, water treatment, stormwater, hydraulic analysis, etc.)
• Strong project management experience and interpersonal communications skills
Established in 1948, GFA is an employee-owned business that offers excellent pay and benefits in a vibrant downtown work environment. EOE. If you are looking for a career opportunity in a dynamic workplace we invite you to upload a cover letter and resume here, or via regular mail: Gourdie-Fraser, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 927, Traverse City, MI 49685. Submissions are confidential. Excellent pay and benefits, EOE. Learn more about GFA at www.gfa.tc.
Join our expanding company in Traverse City, Michigan! GFA (Gourdie-Fraser) has an opening for a civil CAD technician to support our growing engineering group. The position will be responsible for developing CAD drawings from engineering concepts, directly supporting the team with site plans, GPS, and conventional data reduction.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years’ experience with Autocad Civil3D. If you are looking for a career in a dynamic workplace we invite you to upload a cover letter and resume here, or via regular mail: Gourdie-Fraser, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 927, Traverse City, MI 49685. Submissions are confidential. Excellent pay and benefits, EOE. Learn more about GFA at www.gfa.tc.
Please note that we will be closed on Monday, Sept. 3 for the Labor Day holiday. We will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 4 at 8 am.
Congratulations to Jon Arleth, PE/PS, on his new certification from the Michigan Natural Shoreline Partnership!
Please note that GFA’s offices will be closed on Wednesday July 4, 2018. We will reopen at 8 am on Thursday July 5. Thank you!
Help wanted: Civil Engineer
We’re looking for someone who loves infrastructure! Specifically, someone who would like to transition into project management for municipal projects such as drinking water and sanitary sewer. Position responsibilities:
- Provide technical planning, design and construction support on various municipal projects that may include sewers, water mains, pump station, water treatment, stormwater, hydraulic analysis, and/or other wastewater projects
- Attend client, public, project and staff meetings including client progress, plan review, pre-construction, etc.
- Assist project managers and promote sales and conduct business development activities to cultivate new and existing client relationships in the local municipal and transportation market
- Additional duties include:
- reviewing scope, budget, and schedule of new project tasks
- proposal preparation
- training of younger staff
- engineering calculations and supporting analysis of alternatives
- feasibility, design reports and construction plans using local and state standards
- plans and specifications
- permit submittals
- preliminary project cost estimates and evaluate quantities
Minimum ten (10) years of progressive work experience in the Civil Engineering field and State of Michigan professional engineer’s license. Experience working (studies, design and construction) with varying funding mechanisms and formats including MEDC CDBG, USDA, DWRF, SRF, etc.
Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and/or Environmental from an accredited college or university and possess a Professional Engineers License in the State of Michigan. Proficient in hydraulic modeling programs including WaterCAD / GEMS, SewerCAD. Proficient in Microsoft Office.